Setup Parent/child service for new work item types

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Hello,
Do you have any documentation on how to set up the parent/child service for new work item types that are created in the template?

Thanks,
jakotski
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Yes please; that would save me a bunch of time, too.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM
I put together a quick Getting Started guide that is available with the release.  Is there something specific that I can add that would help out?  I'm not exactly what type of service setup that you were looking for... Let me know if you have any questions.
Apr 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Hi Ed,
I have created new work item types that relate to my development process called "Project" and "Dev Task."   I want to use these instead of the MS work items and was wondering if you have information of how I can set up the Parent/child relationship in a similar fashion to how you have it set up for the MS work items.  Will it require me to simply make changes to a config file or do I need to make changes to the service and re-deploy it to my server?

Thanks
Apr 8, 2009 at 6:59 PM
I'm working on similar tasks as jakotski, so I would appreciate any guidance related to adding new work items.  It would be helpful if you could distinguish the purpose of the Deliverable work item.  Next to the pyramid in your introduction document, you explain that the unit of work for a deliverable is a "portion of code." Can you please be more specific?  Also, the schedule-tracking fields (StartDate, FinishDate, OriginalEstimate, CompletedWork, RemainingWork) are used in reports like the Schedule Progress report.  Could you explain the how you use these fields in the Feature vs. Deliverable vs. Task work items?